Move Forward, Move Ahead
United Fund Board’s Initiative, Move Forward Move Ahead
Started in 2006 working with partners to addresses poverty in a bigger way.
Bridges Out of Poverty
Bridges Out of Poverty training is the first piece of the initiative. Bridges training is to get our professionals trained to understand poverty in a deeper way. If we can develop accurate mental models of poverty, middle class, and wealth we can then discover concepts, understand hidden languages, and build a bigger picture of how poverty affects the individual and our communities as a whole.
To complete the first piece of the initiative and learn about the concepts listed above we are offering the opportunity to attend the Bridges out of Poverty training.
In a Just Gettin’ – By World
If you have spent any amount of your life struggling to get by in the world, the idea of getting ahead might seem out of reach. But no matter the barriers & setbacks you may have faced, the next chapter can change it all. There is always a chance to write your story over; to move forward and get ahead.
Getting Ahead is step 2 in the 3-step process to become a Bridges Community. The workshops will take you step by step through a discovery of yourself like no other. It isn’t just about how you got where you are now. It is also about what comes next to build the life you want.
Getting Ahead Workshops are twice a week for nine weeks. People in poverty who take Getting Ahead Workshops become investigators in their own efforts to lift their families out of poverty.
You will investigate
- The realities of conditions in your community and how they impact you
- Some of the “hidden rules” for getting ahead
- Skills that give you confidence to do what it takes to get ahead
- How to build resources and make connections at home and work
- Ways to deal with change and create stability in your life
We will continue to work with individuals after their 18 sessions of Getting Ahead to encourage them on their path to stability.
- We are currently in the process of creating step 3 of Bridges Out of Poverty, The Pipeline.
- This series will include financial stability training, one-on-one budget assistance and a guest speaker series about issues/topics of interest to our participants.
- Participants can be Getting Ahead Grads, businesses/organizations and individuals interested in creating a successful future.